locked Russell/W8DN

Mike / W8DN

Tom,
  Thanks for the reply. Always glad to gather any info I can about the original W8DN. I have searched for an obit for Mr. Flora but have not been successful so far so maybe you can help. I'm thinking that he may have become a SK about the time I received my novice license in 1964 but have no proof of that. I received the W8DN call when the FCC made 1x2 and 1x2 "N" calls available to Extra class licensees. Unfortunately I did not keep my earlier licenses but that would have been in the mid 70s I believe. Think I have a reasonable approximation of that time frame in my log so will have to do some searching.
  Interestingly enough, I received an original W8DN QSL and eyeball QSO card from Dale Repp/W8MCQ who now has a Zero call (if he still survives). Guess I gave him quite a start because I was on the CW County Hunters Net and he heard me. Said Russell threw his key as far as he could when he got AM capabilities and never looked back. :-)  . Can't put my hands on the envelope right now so do not remember the dates. Oh yeah, the QSO/QSL date is 12/15/34.
  As I said, any info about the original W8DN you can send my way will be greatly appreciated. I used to make it to the Toledo Hamfest on a somewhat regular basis and almost always  got stopped by someone who knew Russel.

Thanks and 73 de
Mike / W8DN #2

On 2/21/2020 12:58 PM, n8tl wrote:

Hi Mike:

My name is Tom and my call is N8TL. I wanted to pass along to you some information that you might not be aware of.  The previous owner of the W8DN call sign was Russell Flora from Sylvania, Ohio.  Located on outskirts of Toledo.  In my  teen days, I would attend Mobile Radio Club meetings at Russ's garage. Russ was a good friend and Ham Radio Mentor. His primary mode was AM on 160 meters. There were a lot of 160 meter mobile hams in those days.  This time frame was the late 1950's to the mid to late 1960's.  Thought you might be interested in the history.

Regards, and, 73,  Tom N8TL

On 2020-02-21 11:43 a.m., Mike Rhodes wrote:
Signalink does nothing more than provide the audio component for digital modes. To read the frequency and/or control your radio will require CAT connection and appropriate interface.

Mike / W8DN

On 2/21/2020 9:11 AM, Richard DeRose wrote:
I am using a PC with Windows 10 and WSJTX connected to a ft897 through a signal link. I cannot get the computer to connect to get the frequency. What settings are required.?

Dick DeRose
dderose911@...
561-441-6376
KG5FNS

Life's journey is not
to arrive safely at the grave
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totaly worn out, shouting
"Holy Cow.........What a ride!"

Join main@WSJTX.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.