locked Re: 1 minute Re: 60 meters: Operating guidelines for FT8

Seannon Baker (AG0NY)

So, I've spent a while searching the FCC web... everyone knows what a pain it can be.., I'm going to drop the link here and point at a couple of sections, hopefully it will help clear this up. along with this, I'd like to point out that FT8 is an RTTY derivative, RTTY is accepted for use on the band BUT ONLY ON THE CENTER FREQUENCY OF THE CHANNEL! there is only ONE place we are allowed to transmit... ON the center frequency! which is setting to the USB frequency and setting the tx at 1500hz in the program, not 1225, not 500, not 2000, 1500 ONLY! also, if we hear other traffic on the channel, per arrl rules, don't tx.

IN THE US, we have to follow the US part of the rules, other countries have different rules, we have to follow our set.

9. Under the existing rules, only upper sideband voice transmissions are permitted in the 60 meter band. In the NPRM, the Commission proposed to authorize the use of three additional emission designators in the band: CW emission 150HA1A, which is Morse telegraphy by means of on-off keying, and data emissions 2K80J2D and 60H0J2B. In § 97.307(f)(14)(i) of the proposed rules, the Commission restricts emission designator 2K80J2D to data using PACTOR-III technique and emission designator 60H0J2B to data using PSK31 technique. The Commission also sought comment on whether amateur stations could be permitted to transmit emission types in addition to those requested by ARRL in the 60 meter band without increasing the likelihood of interference to primary users. As discussed, the Commission adopts its proposal to allow the use of the three additional emission designators.

13. The Commission adopts its proposal to authorize the use of three additional emission designators in the 60 meter band. These additional capabilities can serve to enhance amateur emergency communications and allow for greater experimentation in the band, and it believes that doing so is in the public interest. We note, however, that because “emission J2B” is specifically defined in part 97 of our rules to be a Radio Teletype (RTTY) emission, emission designator 60H0J2B must be codified as a RTTY emission in order to provide for consistency within part 97 of our rules. Accordingly, the Commission authorizes control operators to transmit the following additional emission types and designators in the 60 meter band: CW emissions, limited to emission 150HA1A (i.e., Morse code telegraphy); data emissions, limited to emission 2K80J2D (exemplified by PACTOR-III); and RTTY emissions, limited to emission 60H0J2B (exemplified by PSK31).

20. Operation on Channel Centers. Section 97.303(h) currently requires that amateur operators ensure that their station's transmission occupies only 2.8 kHz centered at each of the five center frequencies. The NPRM proposed that, for amateur stations transmitting CW emissions and PSK31 data emissions, the carrier frequency shall be set to the center frequency. NTIA has requested that the Commission continue to restrict amateur service transmissions in this manner.

So, now for the actual part 97 rules!
 this is from CfR 47 part 2: US23 In the band 5330.5-5406.4 kHz (60 m band), the assigned frequencies 5332, 5348, 5358.5, 5373, and 5405 kHz are allocated to the amateur service on a secondary basis. Amateur service use of the 60 m band frequencies is restricted to a maximum effective radiated power of 100 W PEP and to the following emission types and designators: phone (2K80J3E), data (2K80J2D), RTTY (60H0J2B), and CW (150HA1A). Amateur operators using the data and RTTY emissions must exercise care to limit the length of transmissions so as to avoid causing harmful interference to Federal stations.

PART 97—AMATEUR RADIO SERVICE

3. The authority citation for part 97 continues to read as follows:

Authority: 48 Stat. 1066, 1082, as amended: 47 U.S.C. 154, 303. Interpret or apply 48 Stat. 1064-1068, 1081-1105, as amended; 47 U.S.C. 151-155, 301-609, unless otherwise noted.

4. Section 97.221 is amended by revising paragraph (c) to read as follows:

Automatically controlled digital station.
* * * * *

(c) Except for channels specified in § 97.303(h), a station may be automatically controlled while transmitting a RTTY or data emission on any other frequency authorized for such emission types provided that:

(1) The station is responding to interrogation by a station under local or remote control; and

(2) No transmission from the automatically controlled station occupies a bandwidth of more than 500 Hz.

5. Section 97.303 is amended by revising paragraph (h) to read as follows.

Frequency sharing requirements.
* * * * *

(h) 60 m band: (1) In the 5330.5-5406.4 kHz band (60 m band), amateur stations may transmit only on the five center frequencies specified in the table below. In order to meet this requirement, control operators of stations transmitting phone, data, and RTTY emissions (emission designators 2K80J3E, 2K80J2D, and 60H0J2B, respectively) may set the carrier frequency 1.5 kHz below the center frequency as specified in the table below. For CW emissions (emission designator 150HA1A), the carrier frequency is set to the center frequency. Amateur operators shall ensure that their emissions do not occupy more than 2.8 kHz centered on each of these center frequencies.

60 M Band Frequencies (kHz)

CarrierCenter
5330.55332.0
5346.55348.0
5357.05358.5
5371.55373.0
5403.55405.0

(2) Amateur stations transmitting on the 60 m band must not cause harmful interference to, and must accept interference from, stations authorized by:

(i) The United States (NTIA and FCC) and other nations in the fixed service; and

(ii) Other nations in the mobile except aeronautical mobile service.

* * * * *

6. Section 97.305 is amended by revising the table in paragraph (c) by inserting the new entry “60 m” between the “75 m” and “40 m” entries to read as follows.

Authorized emission types.
* * * * *

(c) * * *

Wavelength bandFrequenciesEmission types authorizedStandards see § 97.307(f), paragraph:

*         *         *         *         *         *         *
HF:

80 mEntire bandRTTY, data(3), (9).
75 mEntire bandPhone, image(1), (2).
60 m5.332, 5.348, 5.3585, 5.373 and 5.405 MHzPhone, RTTY, data(14).
40 m7.000-7.100 MHzRTTY, data(3), (9).

*         *         *         *         *         *         *

7. Section 97.307 is amended by adding paragraph (f)(14) to read as follows.

Emission standards.
* * * * *

(f) * * *

(14) In the 60 m band:

(i) A station may transmit only phone, RTTY, data, and CW emissions using the emission designators and any additional restrictions that are specified in the table below (except that the use of a narrower necessary bandwidth is permitted):

60 M Band Emission Requirements

Emission typeEmission designatorRestricted to:
Phone2K80J3EUpper sideband transmissions (USB).
Data2K80J2DUSB (for example, PACTOR-III).
RTTY60H0J2BUSB (for example, PSK31).
CW150HA1AMorse telegraphy by means of on-off keying.

(ii) The following requirements also apply:

(A) When transmitting the phone, RTTY, and data emissions, the suppressed carrier frequency may be set as specified in § 97.303(h).

(B) The control operator of a station transmitting data or RTTY emissions must exercise care to limit the length of transmission so as to avoid causing harmful interference to United States Government stations.

Seannon, AG0NY

On Fri, Feb 21, 2020 at 10:53 AM Amir K9CHP <sarlabs@...> wrote:
I used the band once or twice, for a MARS exercise, on phone. I don't think FT8 is really compatible with the very unclear regulations on that band. Don't look me up there. There is plenty of room elsewhere.

--

73 de Amir K9CHP

ARRL, Emergency Coordinator (EC)
Liverpool Amateur Repeater Club www.W2CM.org
Radio Amateurs of Greater Syracuse  www.ragsclub.org
Wilderness SAR (ret.) www.wsar.org
Eagle Valley Search Dogs (ret.) www.evdogs.org

On Fri, Feb 21, 2020, 11:35 Ria, N2RJ <rjairam@...> wrote:

The source code is open, and many will just reverse engineer and disable this. Not everyone uses WSJTX for FT8 anyway. Not many of the full auto robot guys. They use their own software like MSHV or WSJT-Z which is a fork of WSJT-X.

JT and the dev team have taken out 60m from the default frequencies anyway. People are adding it back in themselves or using other software.

The only real solution is to use one of the other channels, until another DX channel opens up or we get rid of channelization.  Some countries do not have channelization on 60m. In 9Y I can use 1.5kw from 5.25 to 5.45MHz without restriction. It’s just another HF band.

There is no ARRL award for operation on that band. So there is less incentive to operate there anyway.

73,
Ria
N2RJ

--
“It is a simple feat of scientific electrical engineering — only expensive — blind, faint-hearted, doubting world.”

Nikola Tesla