locked Re: 60 meters: Operating - FT8

Kai-KE4PT

You monitor the channel in upper SSB mode.
Cheers
Kai, KE4PT

On 2/20/2020 19:15, K8BL BOB LIDDY wrote:
I'm considering operating FT8 on 60M this evening.

How will Govt Users inform me of their planned usage
so that I can go QRT?

I hope my 10W to an end-fed LW at 20 Ft. doesn't cause
too much interference.

de  Bob  K8BL/5

On Thursday, February 20, 2020, 04:02:30 PM CST, Bonnie KQ6XA <bonniekq6xa@...> wrote:

The channel at 5357 kHz USB has constant FT8 transmissions, 24/7/365, worldwide.
Currently, 5357-FT8 is not being shared properly by Secondary hams with Primary users.

Solution: The developers of FT8 can add a lockout feature in FT8 for 1 minute of silence at the top of every 5 minutes, when tuned to 5 MHz.
This would provide a viable time window for Primary users to communicate.
It also would avoid the Amateur Radio Service losing its valuable Secondary allocation on 60 meters.

If the developers of FT8 don't act soon:

    1. Primary users won't allow hams to continuously take over their allocation much longer.
    2. Some Primary user will probably put multi-kilowatts on it to simply take their allocation back. (We can see this starting to happen already with the HF radars)
    3. Primary users will oppose Amateur Service efforts at ITU conferences to increase the worldwide power allocation from 15 Watts to 100 Watts.
    4. Governments which not approve allowing their hams to use 60 meters, or will drastically curtail their use of it (see Australia)
5357 is the ONLY international Amateur Radio Service channel on 60 meters.
Be nice to it.

-Bonnie KQ6XA