From: "Bob Lewis" <aa4pb@...>
To: WSJTX@groups.io
Sent: Thursday, February 20, 2020 5:06:19 PM
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] frequencies for 160 - 6m?

The signal is not limited to one tone (SSB is certainly more than one tone). The requirement is that whatever bandwidth the signal occupies MUST be centered on the assigned channel. That is standard government and military operating practice which was originally intended for the use of voice, CW, and RTTY signals. Personally, it doesn't make a lot of common sense for narrow modes like FT8 but the government doesn't seem to want to give on the issue. However, one point perhaps is that if they permit the channel to be filled with many individual signals from individual stations spread out over the channel then then the government has a much bigger problem trying to clear the channel for their use.