locked Re: frequencies for 160 - 6m?

Bob Lewis

The signal is not limited to one tone (SSB is certainly more than one tone). The requirement is that whatever bandwidth the signal occupies MUST be centered on the assigned channel. That is standard government and military operating practice which was originally intended for the use of voice, CW, and RTTY signals. Personally, it doesn't make a lot of common sense for narrow modes like FT8 but the government doesn't seem to want to give on the issue. However, one point perhaps is that if they permit the channel to be filled with many individual signals from individual stations spread out over the channel then then the government has a much bigger problem trying to clear the channel for their use.

-----Original Message-----
From: WSJTX@groups.io [mailto:WSJTX@groups.io] On Behalf Of K8BL BOB LIDDY
Sent: Thursday, February 20, 2020 11:15 AM
To: WSJTX@groups.io
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] frequencies for 160 - 6m?

N0AN,

The Official Observer Program used to do an adequate job of informing Amateurs of proper Band usage. Where are they these days?

As I said before, FT8 uses 8-FSK Modulation with 6.25 Hz spacing. It is
not one discreet tone. Therefore, it would be impossible
to ONLY use one tone at 1500 Hz to exchange information
using FT8 on 60M or any other Band.

GL/73, Bob K8BL/5

On Thursday, February 20, 2020, 03:55:49 AM CST, Hasan Schiers N0AN <hbasri.schiers6@...> wrote:

Bob,
Of course you are seeing them all over the place, and that is exactly what we are being warned about. I used to approach things exactly as you have and was subsequently told that these "convenient" self-interpretations are going to result in notice of violations when the new monitoring program starts.

I will look for the precise wording I was sent a few weeks ago, and anyone who wants to can argue it out with the ARRL Keep in mind that the Monitoring program will be run by the ARRL, and they will be sending out notices and making referrals to the FCC for enforcement.

73, N0AN

Hasan

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020, 10:09 PM K8BL BOB LIDDY <k8bl@...> wrote:
FT8 uses 8-FSK Modulation with 6.25 Hz spacing. It is not one discreet
tone. Therefore, it would be impossible to ONLY use one tone at 1500
Hz to exchange information using FT8 on 60M or any other Band.

I'm seeing plenty of QSOs on 60M tonight from all across NA and EU. My
10W to an end-fed LW at 20Ft works out quite well.

GL/73, Bob K8BL

On Wednesday, February 19, 2020, 09:14:13 PM CST, Herb Blue <wb8asi@...> wrote:

I will practice my whistle to stay on 1500.

On February 19, 2020 at 10:04 PM Hasan Schiers N0AN <hbasri.schiers6@...> wrote:

According to the precise definition in the rules the entire 2800 Hz spectrum is NOT AVAILABLE!

Only one frequency is permitted and that is 1500 Hz. No moving around, no spreading out, period. Applies only to USA stations.

That is exactly what I was warned about. The rule is clear and it is
equally clear it was not being enforced. It is going to be enforced, that is what I was told.

Take it for what it's worth, I have no investment either way.

73, N0AN

Hasan

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020, 6:39 PM Bruce N7XGR < n7xgr1@...> wrote:

Then what we all need to do is start doing this,

http://www.openculture.com/2013/03/speaking_in_whistles_the_whistled_
language_of_oaxaca_mexico.html

These people communicate by whistling tones that is understood by the receiver.

This seems to be the same as the FT8 tones. What is the difference between a whistled tone and a FT8 tone?

We can whistle tones anywhere in the 2800 Hz USB transmit bandwidth.

What about other countries? Will the FCC enforce this to countries outside of the US boarder?

Bruce N7XGR

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 7:09 PM Hasan Schiers N0AN < hbasri.schiers6@...> wrote:

Re: 60m

Be very careful about 60m in the USA. The spread of FT8 activity away from 1500 Hz may well be in violation of FCC rules. I received a warning that enforcement of this rule was going to start shortly with the onset of the new ARRL Monitoring program, wherein violations will be forwarded to the FCcCfor enforcement.

I'd be careful.

73, N0AN

Hasan

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020, 4:26 PM K8BL BOB LIDDY < k8bl@...> wrote:

As long as we're discussing the Frequency List, I noticed that
doing the Reset does not provide the 60M Frequency for FT8.

I've inserted 5.357 MHz in my List. There is a fair bit of
activity there and many DX Stations to work nightly. It's easy to find a clear spot.

73, Bob K8BL