locked Re: Computer recommendations

Greg Beam, KI7MT <ki7mt01@...>

I'll second what Jim wrote here. I'm using a Lenovo X1 Extreme Gen1 for my work laptop (15.6in screen). Its a serious little box: Dual PCI M.2 NVME slots, Thunderbolt port, USB 3.x, Nvidia Graphics, HDMI 2.0, Good Battery Life, Lightweight.

I run VM Ware Workstation Pro on it with Windows Server 2016, SQL Server and Win10 Desktop instance at the same time. The box doesn't break a sweat.

Mine has i7-8850H 6 Cores/12 Threads, 32GB Ram, Dual 1TB M.2 NVME Samsung Pro's. I use a thunderbolt dock at work and home.

This is the Gen2, but, it has similar specs with a newer processor. I think the Gen1 is discontinued now.

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-x/X1-Extreme-Gen-2/p/22TP2TXX1E2

73, Greg KI7MT

On 2/18/20 11:38 AM, Jim Brown wrote:
I'll repeat my recommendation of a Thinkpad, either new from the Lenovo website or a refurb off-lease unit from a vendor like NewEgg. I've used nothing but Thinkpads for almost 20 years. My last "big iron" was a dual processor Dell that I bought to do heavy-duty acoustic modeling in 1999. It finally died a few months ago. The Thinkpads did that modeling too, are far more compact, and don't require an outboard UPS.
My shack computer is a Thinkpad T540 with an i7 processor and 16GB; it came with only 8GB, and didn't allow wide tolerance decoding of MSK144 until I borught the RAM up to 16GB. OTOH, the used super-light weight X230 Thinkpad I bought for members of our team to carry up a long and difficult hiking trail to activate a rare grid runs WSJT-X just fine with only 8GB, and RAM can't be added to it. Both of those machines run Win7-64 Pro, and both can drive big external monitors.
For both machines I've bought used docking stations, which are a good way to get extra ports, and which clean up wiring when used in the shack.
73, Jim K9YC
On 2/17/2020 5:54 PM, eam1212003 via Groups.Io wrote:
It’s just about time to put my old Dell/Windows 7 computer to sleep...looking for inexpensive suggestions of a new computer/laptop that can comfortably handle HRD and WSJT..