locked Re: Computer recommendations

Martin G0HDB

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 09:45 PM, Kai-KE4PT wrote:
I don't know how to manage the Windows OS to force temporary real-time priority for WSJT-X, other than to temporarily stop antivirus and stop internet access and stop many other background tasks including Windows updates and other file management tasks during WSJT-X operation.
Hello Kai, I don't know if it's possible in Win 10 but in Win 7 it's possible to change the priority of any process(es) by starting Task Manager, selecting the Processes tab and then right-clicking on each process whose priority you want to change.  You'll see there's an option called Set Priority in the drop-down menu that appears when you right-click on a process; click on that and you'll get a list of the priorities that can be selected.  You could then elect to set the priorities of all the WSJT-X-related processes to, for example, Above Normal or if you're feeling brave to High.

Unfortunately the priority setting you choose for an app via Task Manager doesn't stick when the app is closed, so when the app is restarted its priority will be back to Normal.  There is, or was, a utility called Prio that could be used to alter a process's priority permanently; I used to use it when I ran WSJT-X on older hardware running WinXP but when I migrated to Win 7 on faster hardware several years ago I found that Prio caused some bizarre issues with a couple of apps including, for some reason, Firefox so I haven't used Prio for some time.  However, it might be worth taking a look at Prio to see if it'll do what you want in your particular scenario.

A word of caution - although I've never tried it, setting any process to the highest possible priority, ie. Realtime, might have unexpected and/or undesirable consequences so doing so would be entirely at your own risk...  :-)  The only realtime process I can see on this Win 7 system is the NTP daemon, ntpd.exe - it seems perfectly understandable that that needs to run with the highest possible priority.

--
Martin G0HDB