locked Re: Computer recommendations

Jim Brown

Great advice. Note that the bigger Thinkpads with fast processors and sufficient RAM run just fine with lots of other stuff going on in the background. Although I didn't mention it, an SSD can also speed things up if there's enough stuff running to fill up RAM. My shack computer is always running a browser with a half dozen or more windows open, my everyday logging software suite (DXLab), N1MM+ for contesting with two radios for SO2R, and when running RTTY contesting, two decoders for each radio. When I'm running a contest assisted, I'll have a feed from a good DX cluster. And I usually have DXAtlas open to give me a view of greyline, which tells us a lot about propagation below 20M.

GM3ZZA asked, "Has Lenovo the same problem as Huawei?"

I try to keep up with the news, and I've seen nothing suggesting it.

73, Jim K9YC

On 2/18/2020 10:54 AM, AG0N-3055 wrote:

On Feb 18, 2020, at 07:46, Kai-KE4PT<k.siwiak@...> wrote:

It doesn't take much of a computer to run WSJT-X, but you do have to manage what else is running in the background, and what else is stealing focus away from WSJT-X.
Again, I would urge all of you commenting on how good your computer is with WSJT-X to not just go by how it runs on FT8. Are you going to stick to FT8 the rest of your life? The most intensive mode in WSJT-X is NOT FT8. If you ever get interested in meteor scatter, you’ll want to move to MSK144. Stick your mode on MSK144 and go up on six meters (50.260) and listen for awhile. You will see a “gauge” showing processor loading for each 15 or 30 second receive cycle. It will surprise you how much power it takes.
Many systems won’t hack it, especially when you go to DEEP DECODE. The handwriting is on the wall, and just like other things, the programs are going to require more and more horsepower as time and programming knowledge and ability move along.
Build the best computer you can afford, and know that it will work awhile before passing you by. If you don’t, you’ll just need to do it again sooner. Been there, done that!