locked Re: Meinberg NTP at Windows startup

John Morphet

The task scheduler appears to be the solution. When I set up an advanced task, I noticed the option to not start the task unless there is a network connection. The light came on and I realized that since I have a wifi connection on that computer, there is no network connection at startup. It takes a little time to initiate the wifi connection. When I created the task for task scheduler, I enabled the don’t run the task until there is a network connection. I also have a 2 minute delay and set highest priority. It seems to be working now. I will experiment with it and see if I disable the time delay and priority to see if those settings actually helped. For now it is working and I appreciate all the suggestions.

John, WØZI

From: WSJTX@groups.io <WSJTX@groups.io> On Behalf Of jwvaughn via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, February 10, 2020 11:48 AM
To: WSJTX@groups.io
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] Meinberg NTP at Windows startup

John,

You could run the batch file using the task scheduler and delay N minutes after the computer starts up. It will then start with no intervention on your part and after the computer has settled out.

Jerry

From: WSJTX@groups.io [mailto:WSJTX@groups.io] On Behalf Of John Morphet
Sent: Monday, February 10, 2020 10:08

Kai,

It makes sense that all the startup apps might take away focus from the restartntp batch file. The key reason that Win 10 should not be used for deterministic applications. Sounds like my only solution would be to find a way to run it last, set the priority higher than anything else, or delay it long enough that everything else has finished (moving target). Alternatively, just run it manually from the desktop after starting has finished. I was trying to do it automatically because I sometimes forget (getting old) and then in the middle of a QSO, I notice my DT is too far off. This only happens when I first turn on the computer.  Give it enough time it will pull the DT in.

John, WØZI

From: WSJTX@groups.io <WSJTX@groups.io> On Behalf Of Kai-KE4PT
Sent: Monday, February 10, 2020 8:32 AM

John,
The Windows OS, and your virus protection software, have tons of tasks running in the background, especially at startup, that are steal focus away from time-sensitive operations that Meinberg, Tardis, and other time synchronizers provide. My suggestion is to wait a few minutes after start-up to let those background task finish, then run your time synchronizer.

Cheers,
Kai, KE4PT

On 2/10/2020 10:16, John Morphet wrote:

I am running Meinberg NTP on a Windows 10 machine. It is working well except when I first start the computer in the morning. I have noticed that when I start my computer in the morning the time is usually off by about a second. If I run the restartntp.bat (shown below) from my desktop, the time gets corrected. I have copied the shortcut to the restartntp.bat file to the Windows startup folder. I thought that would adjust my time every time I started the computer, but it doesn't seem to work. Does anyone know how to fix this?

John, WØZI

@echo off
REM ********** RESTART NTP SERVICE *************
echo Trying to stop NTP service:
net stop ntp
REM Insert a delay ...
echo Wait 10 seconds before restart ...
ping -n 10 127.0.0.1 > NUL
echo Trying to restart NTP service:
net start ntp
pause

Join main@WSJTX.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.