From: neil_zampella <neilz@...>
To: WSJTX <WSJTX@groups.io>
Sent: Sun, Jan 19, 2020 3:34 am
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] Old Logs

Michael ... you won't be able to recover that data unless there is a copy on your hard drive somewhere.    Did you do a computer search for files on WSJT using the Windows 10 search function?

As far as preventing loss of future logs, people have been giving good advice.    DO NOT rely on WSJT-X to save your log.    Use a dedicated logger, that also has the capability to upload the QSOs to LoTW, and/or eQSL.   You will then aid other OPs by giving them an electronic QSL, and have a backup of your completed QSOs.

As far as other advice, do a weekly backup of your system.   There are many good, inexpensive backup programs that you can find.   Even a batch file that does a copy of the directory to another location on an external hard drive can be used and triggered by the Windows Task Manager to run daily.   A quick Google search can help you with that.

However, it may be time to face the reality all that data is gone.

Neil, KN3ILZ

All you can do is make sure it doesn't happen again, which is why
On 1/19/2020 2:56 AM, Michael WA7SKG wrote:
The logging was only to the WSJT-X built-in log. I never uploaded them anywhere. Apparently, either a WSJT-X or Windows update started the log over again or somehow deleted everything prior to January 1st, 2019.

Everybody is telling me what I should have done and what I need to do in the future. But nobody is offering any ideas on what happened to my WSJT-X logs or where I might find the old data or what, if anything, I can do to prevent loss of future WSJT-X logs. I will be more diligent in the future, but that does not help the past data.

Michael WA7SKG

Dave Garber wrote on 1/18/20 9:06 PM:
have you been uploading them to qrz or eqsl or lotw ??   then you could downl;oad the adi files, and import into one of the logbooks mentioned in other responses

Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE

On Sat, Jan 18, 2020 at 10:43 AM Michael WA7SKG <wa7skg@... <mailto:wa7skg@...>> wrote:

    I've been using WSJT-X on the same computer since 2017. I have always
    logged the contacts, but never really paid attention to the logs until
    now. I went into the log directory and see the logs there only go back
    to January 2019. I'm looking for contacts made in 2017 and 2018. Do
    these logs rotate somehow? Is there any way to find the logs from
    previous years? I have searched for other log and adi files and came up
    empty.

    tnx es 73,
    Michael WA7SKG