locked Re: IO error when testing PTT control with 'no rig'

Bill Somerville

On 11/01/2020 02:43, vk3eip wrote:
I am new to WSJT-X and just getting it running on an Ubuntu laptop into an FT-101E. It seems to work and I have had a few QSOs on 20 meters.
My question is how do I set up the PTT functions in the settings? It currently works with the FT101E using the VOX mode. However, I want to use WSJT-X on 23cms with an FT-736R and need to trigger the PTT for correct sequencing.
At the moment when I attempt to set the PTT options to use the serial port the test procedure gives me a message "Rig failure Hamlib error: IO error while opening connection to rig".
The Radio settings I am using are 'no rig' and the interface I am using is a UD06YA (a USB interface that uses a PL-2303HX chip that controls the RTS line of the computer serial port). Ubuntu recognises the interface as /dev/ttyUSB0 and that shows up in the Port field of the settings, so there doesn't seem to be a problem there.
What does the IO error mean? Is there a config file somewhere that needs changing?
George, vk3eip
Hi George,

i/o error means the port you specified does not exist, or something else has access, or you do not have rights to access it. Have you added your user to the dialout group?

sudo adduser $USER dialout

Then logout and back in, by logout I mean log out the whole desktop or just reboot.