locked Re: Time sync issues

Michael WA7SKG

Apparently you missed the part about changing time on a Windows machine requires admin rights, which we do not have. We can connect to the network if someone has a smartphone they can set up as a hotspot, but going into the Windoze time settings and trying to "sync now" pops up a box asking for admin password. While on the one hand, I can appreciate the need for admin rights to install software, make significant changes, etc. but to set the clock? Windoze can be so annoying.

Michael WA7SKG

K8BL BOB LIDDY wrote on 12/9/19 9:49 AM:

Michael, et al:
We have a Club Station that has no Internet access and we
also do Special Events and Field Day from locations with
no Internet access. Some of our Members and I have watches
that are sync'ed to WWVB and are exact and equally as good
as any Internet Time Signal. All we do is bring up the clock
setting feature on our laptop and hit Enter at the precise time
and we're good to go. Easy-peasy! WSJT/FT8 is not so exact
that you need to worry. As long as you are within 2 seconds
you'll have no problem. Just watch the DT listing on the left
side of your screen of the decoded Stations and if it looks like
too many of them have a DT of 2 seconds or more, you'll need
to re-sync your laptop with a Radio-syn'd watch or with WWV
over the air. It works very well and no need to set up any fancy
GPS gizmo when you're in the hinterlands.
Of course, the "experts" reading this will spend hours flaming
this message and tell me how I am full of "stuff", but we've done
this numerous times over the past two years and have had no
problems at all. Sometimes simple and common sense solutions
work almost as well as thousands of dollars of "hi-tech" boxes.
GL/73,    Bob  K8BL
On Monday, December 9, 2019, 12:15:33 PM EST, Michael WA7SKG <wa7skg@...> wrote:
We thought about that. Problem is, the shack is in the middle of the
first floor of a three story building. We would have to run a line to
the roof for the GPS to work. Huge task.
Michael WA7SKG
martin.svaco@... wrote on 12/9/19 4:30 AM:
Without internet access you may try USB GPS receiver (less than US$ 10)
and free software.
On eBay search for ''VK-172 GMOUSE USB GPS Receiver''

For software google ''BktTimeSync''.

For USB GPS receiver you may need GPS antenna.
Search eBay for ''GPS Antenna Amplifier Receiver Repeater for Android
Phone Car navigation Tool''

73
Martin 9A2JK

On 9.12.2019. 4:06, Michael WA7SKG wrote:
We have a club station that some members want to run FT8 on. There is
a laptop there for use, but no Internet access. Of course, the clock
is always off. We can use a cellphone for a hotspot to give Internet
access, but forcing the clock to sync requires admin privileges. I
know the Meinberg and Dimension 4 apps have been mentioned. I'm sure
they need admin rights to install, but do they need admin rights to
actually run and sync the clock? If one of them will work, we can
probably get it installed, then the user can use his smartphone
hotspot to keep the laptop on time while they are using it.

Thanks,
Michael WA7SKG