Re: Pwr slider not working #wsjtxconfig

Michael Black

Here are some vetted settings for the IC-7300
For the TX side set the rig at 50W, WSJT-X Pwr slider at -3dB and adjust the ACC Mod Level to get 25W during transmit.Then you can crank up the WSJT-X Pwr slider and should 50W and the rig can go to 100W,
Did some testing with a friend on our systems.  He has an IC-7300 and I have an ANAN-7000DLE MKII.

We found the following settings to work very well for multi-band operation and low level signals with FT8 and FT4 for the RX side of the house.
#1 Change your AGC to Slow (6-second AGC time seems best).#2 Get the Digital Level Meter from here https://darkwooddesigns.co.uk/pc2/meters.html -- you right-click in the app to select the sound card.#3 Windows Record and Playback level at 0dB#4 Adjust the ACC/USB AF Level in the rig so the Digital Level meter shows a bit less than -6dB...you'll probably have to increase the ACC/USB AF Level.You should find that any band will show this same level.  WSJT-X will show about 50dB of audio level.
If you don't have a way to display the peak-level audio record a WAV file from WSJT-X and ensure the audio data does not exceed 16768 or +/-0.5 depending on your audio display software.
The  6-second AGC timing value was arrived at watching the AGC action in-between FT8 decoding periods.  6 seconds is as long the IC-7300 can do in USB-D mode.  Less than 6 seconds and you could see the AGC increasing the gain in-between periods which would be undesirable.
Mike W9MDB

On Thursday, November 24, 2022 at 11:44:25 AM CST, Karza <kari.sillanmaki@...> wrote:

Hi Ray,

You've gotten me real confused here.

On 24.11.2022 16.54, Ray wrote:
That doesn’t apply to late model Icom radios.
I'm using an Icom 7300. So, if this is not one of the 'late models' then
disregard the rest of this message.
  With these radios the ALC does nothing until it reaches the threshold. The threshold is the red area of the meter. The power control does not set power out it sets max power out. If it’s set to 50 watts then ALC will maintain power at 50 watts max by reducing power when it goes into the red.
On my radio the power setting is in about 64%, but since the nominal
output power is  100W, I assume  that 64% == 64 W.

If the ALC is not just at red the radio is not putting out 50 watts. So with all ALL modes radio set ALC just below the red.
Now this is where I get confused. According to various advises on the
ever knowledgeable Internet, I have adjustment my settings so that the
ALC indication is close to zero while TXing

Yet, with power setting about at 64% I'm getting some 53 W out according
to my SWR meter. ( Tried to share a picture showing this  but failed to
get any of these @$!!$# public file sharing apps to co-operate.)

FT 8 unlike PSK is a constant envelope, constant carrier signal. The ALC will indicate a constant level. We need to get over this ALC obsession with FT 8.
SO READ THE MANUAL.
Read the manual but it is somewhat ambiguous when it comes to digital
modes and ALC settings.

73's de Kari, oh2gqc

Ray
W8LYJ