locked Re: Missing decodes #AudioIssues

Tim Dawson

There is a *LOT* wrong with sntp! It is a crude bastardization of ntp, which is incapable of smoothly managing a clock (which is why those using it likely have problems! Real ntp rarely (if ever) does jump/step corrections!

On October 8, 2022 1:35:44 PM CDT, Alan G4ZFQ <alan4alan@...> wrote:
On 08/10/2022 15:45, Tim Dawson wrote:
One other thing to note (and the original message has been lost) was someone had mentioned an ntp client taking CPU resources away from WSJTX
I do not know where it went but the original problem was using a SNTP updating every minute.
Not CPU cycles but simply a lot of jitter possible disrupting decoding.
Nothing really wrong with SNTP, just set it to a reasonable update period then missed decodes due to time jumps are mostly avoided.

Phil,

By reasonable update periods I'm thinking hours, not minutes. Until the PC drifts by more than a second or so there will be no trouble.

73 Alan G4ZFQ