locked Re: Hamlib 4.5 testing #hamlib

Tim Dawson

For what it's worth, I use one of these for multiple rigs, and have been solid:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008U3OVHW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?i

This device may not be cheap, but does multiple ports (4), has the FTDI chipset, is fully metal enclosed (shielded) as well as using separate power from the computer. This and two SignaLinks run my two rigs (simultaneously, if desired) and I never have to worry about drivers and other nonsense no matter what radio I connect - it just works. Looking att the CI-V adapter from Icom, it really does not look like anything more than a cheap USB serial with a 3.5mm cable on it, somaking up a DB9 (*NOT* DM9 . . .) to 3.5mm cable for the 7300 should be a quick task.

The SignaLinks also give far better control and status indication than any USB implementation could . . . so, just another person's viewpoint, butI tend to *avoid* "close coupling" processors and RF with cheezy consumer tech like USB when I can get identical functionality externally. Yeah, may still have a partial hop via USB, nut has the ability to add fikters and isolation that direct USB does not. (And, ironically, looks the same on the co,puter - in either case, you see a serial port and an audko device, with al the same settings and controls . . . so, ultimately, direct USB simplifies nothing in software)

I also use an ESD protected, full metal (shielded) USB hub between my computer, the serial devices, and the rig audio interfaces (SignaLink in my case). ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G7GP15C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) This way, any and all shack functiinality comes into the computer on a total of *ONE* USB cable for multiple rigs and other stuff, making computer wiring simple, and the rest stays with the rigs.

On August 9, 2022 10:46:16 PM CDT, "Chuck Moore via groups.io" <wd4hxg@...> wrote:
Not as in a DM9 or DB-25 connector. It does have the C-IV port
which when used with the C-IV adaptor will provide the traditional
RS-232 lashup that uses the DM-9. That potentially would provide
a work around, but with my laptops I would still have to use a
RS-232 to USB adaptor as there is no DM9 connector on the laptops
providing RS-232 connection. One of the reasons for buying the
7300 was the fact it provided both USB and Codec services on a
single USB cable. No external microphone connection, no back panel
audio cable and no clunky Rigblaster or similar 3rd party interface.
One cable and one cable only for digitized audio and control.

Regards

Chuck WD4HXG