locked Re: What's with the "R" ? #TechnicalHelpQuestion

chas cartmel

On any band I am collecting grids.
Many stations respond to my CQ with a report and consequently I ignore them initially. If they persist I modify Tx1 to ask for a grid and only on one occasion out of possibly hundreds has a station then come back to me with a standard response. Some countries are worse than others (Italy and Russia(who I ignore anyway)).

If a station is too tight for time to not send their grid, but send the report 4 or 5 times then the time saving is lost.

73 Charlie
G4EST
www.g4est.me.uk
Stay safe out there

-----Original Message-----
From: main@WSJTX.groups.io <main@WSJTX.groups.io> On Behalf Of WB5JJJ - George
Sent: Saturday, July 2, 2022 2:29 PM
To: main@WSJTX.groups.io
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] What's with the "R" ? #TechnicalHelpQuestion

GM Bill.
Many folks on 6m are grid chasers. All they are looking for is the grid, so they use the NA VHF contest mode (CM), which does cause some confusion on .313. Many times, very popular (needed for FFMA) grid activations move to other 6m frequencies to avoid this when the band is crowded. A signal report is assumed to be 59 or 599 as is given automatically most of the time, except for CW, to speed contacts. This can double the contact counts for those rovers and folks needing that "rare grid" during the same time frame. A win-win for them, but some confusion for others.

--
73's
George - WB5JJJ
Hamshack Holine #4969
Hams over IP #100105

This email has been scanned by BullGuard antivirus protection.
For more info visit www.bullguard.com

Join main@WSJTX.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.