locked Re: FT8 Low Signal Reports #FT8

Jon Ermels

Edit
73 de NØIGU Jon

On Thursday, January 6, 2022, 12:47:58 PM CST, Paul via groups.io <w8aef@...> wrote:

As an experiment I worked VR2XYL on 15m on WSJT.  I narrowed the filter on
my Flex-1500 down to about 100 Hz and his signal report was 35 dB.  After
the QSO I widened my filter back to 3.3 KHz and her signal strength went to
-9 dB.  Maybe WSJT is just a bit overrated for weak signal work?

de Paul, W8AEF

ZF2TI/ZF2TA 8Q7AA FO8DX/FO0PLA XZ0A VU7RG/VU3PYM TX5A A52PP 5W0EF W1AW/KH8

DX Cluster at w8aef.ddns.net port 7373

-----Original Message-----
From: main@WSJTX.groups.io [mailto:main@WSJTX.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Michael Black via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, January 06, 2022 9:42 AM
To: main@wsjtx.groups.io; main@WSJTX.groups.io
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] FT8 Low Signal Reports

SNR is based on noise floor -- when you reduce bandwidth you reduce the
noise computation.
So the increased SNR is just a mathematical artifact and does not indicate
or affect your sensitivity.

I'm fairly sure WSJT-X does not normalize RMS based on bandwidth -- perhaps
it should.

Joe??

Mike W9MDB

https://www.avg.com