locked Re: Don't forget about FT4 #FT4 #QSO_practices

Gwen

Try JS8Call instead of PSK31 On 12/14/21 4:10 PM, Gary trock wrote: > I enjoy the occasional rag chewing on PSK 31, but have more difficulty > making QSOs, especially DX. My own lack of experience I suspect. > Gary N8GT > > >> On Dec 14, 2021, at 5:42 PM, chas cartmel wrote: >> >>  >> >> Let’s also not forget about JT9 and JT65, PSK variations and many >> other data modes which allow conversational QSOs rather than >> click/exchange reports/log - rinse and repeat. >> >> >> *73 Charlie* >> >> *G4EST* >> >> _www.g4est.me.uk_ >> >> Stay safe out there >> >> *From:*main@WSJTX.groups.io [mailto:main@WSJTX.groups.io] *On Behalf >> Of *David Maihofer >> *Sent:* Tuesday, December 14, 2021 6:28 PM >> *To:* main@wsjtx.groups.io >> *Subject:* Re: [WSJTX] Don't forget about FT4 #FT4 #QSO_practices >> >> Tim, >> >> I agree with your FT4 statement, seems many new users opt for FT8 as >> everything is shifted towards that. I think I would rather user FT4 >> most of the time saving half the time. >> >> There just does not seem to be a reason not too except that all the >> activity is on FT8. >> >> Thanks for bringing that up. >> >> 73 de David, in NW Arkansas >> >> >> >> On Dec 14, 2021, at 07:33, Timothy Brannon wrote: >> >>  >> >> I like to get on 40 meters in the predawn hours (US Central >> Time), but most mornings are absolute bedlam on 7074 kHz. The FT8 >> waterfall is so full of strong signals, I can hardly find a clear >> spot to transmit. >> So, I often click *Mode* in WSJT-X and *switch to FT4* on 7047.5 >> kHz, but the problem there is the opposite -- the waterfall is >> completely empty! I did just complete a contact with VK2LAW with >> nice -12 dB signals both ways, but then my 25 CQ calls went >> unanswered. >> Remember, with FT4 you're only giving up 3.5 dB of sensitivity, >> but the SNR is much better without the crowding/QRM, and contacts >> are completed in half the time. I wish more people would try FT4 >> in the morning, and relieve the congestion on FT8. Come try it! >> 73 de Tim, WA5MD in Dallas >> >> >> >> >> This email has been scanned by BullGuard antivirus protection. >> For more info visit www.bullguard.com >> >> >> >> > > >

Join main@WSJTX.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.