locked Re: Bill Somerville, G4WJS, SK #general

Paul

A Tribute to my dearest friend Bill Somerville G4WJS.

I apologize for length of this post. This might answer a few previous posts .Knowing Bill he will be still reading all these posts from a better place.

I thank you for your speedy post Joe.

Bill G4WJS was one of my dearest friends living just 4 miles apart.We spoke 2/3 times a week and at times several times a day.
After a 20 year plus break Bill spurred me on to come back into the radio family.I OWE HIM A LOT.Thanks to him my major interest in the last 10 years has been WSJT-X. Bill also had a passion for Photography and me being a Photographer for The Sun Newspaper In London before I retired had another common interest we liked to have a good natter but I often came off the worst.Bill lived on his own so we kept a close eye on each other.
Bill had a degree in Chemistry but as I understand was self taught in computing and electronics.Please see his QRZ page.
He was a whizz.He was a great natural teacher and Joe I think this was one of the reasons he got on so well with you and the group.He remarked to me many times "I never mind helping anyone provided they help themselves" At times glaring at me  muttering under his breath "Read the notes and the posts" Sometimes it so annoyed him when I could not keep a straight face..we all know the story.Bill always willing to help with a computer grafted to his hand.
Over the last ten years he has like others in the group spent hours and hours involved with WSJX-X.He had a great admiration for open source programs.Made many friends within the digital community and a big respect for Dxlabs {Dave] JTalert [Laurie] among others. I was always giving him praise for taking a break and TXing winding up this 4 ele ,of late not often[Bill head in PC} every day I would have a crafty check on his PSK. Bill was very much in favour of Using L.O.T.W but never collected awards,but on receiving a trophy for technical achievement announced at Dayton when he told me there was no emotion but I knew Bill just to well he was chuffed !

Sadly last Friday after never responding to my calls I found Bill seated in his shack at peace surrounded by the things he loved most.
I am still total shock!!!
Such a loss of a talented and loyal friend and as I have said he shall be greatly missed by many in our radio family.

R.I.P.William [Bill ] G4WJS. God Bless you and till we meet again 73..........................................Cheers mate!

On Saturday, 4 December 2021, 18:25:05 GMT, Joe <joe@...> wrote:

I am very sorry to convey the sad news that Bill Somerville, G4WJS, died
suddenly and unexpectedly a few days ago.  He was only about 65 years old.

Bill was a dear friend and very close colleague, though (as is often the
case with worldwide ham radio friendships) we had met in person only a
few times.  In 2013 he was the first to join me in forming a core
development group for WSJT-X, which at that time was at program version
0.99.  Bill has been closely involved with WSJT-X and related software
projects ever since.

Our free, open-source software could not have achieved its extensive
worldwide popularity and influence in ham radio without Bill's essential
contributions.  In addition to writing code for important portions of
the Qt-based user interface for WSJT-X, Bill helped to bring the overall
program structure more nearly up to professional standards.  Moreover,
he devoted countless hours to program support, patiently answering
user's questions on WSJT-related forums.

I have only started to think about the many ways in which I will miss
Bill -- not no mention how we all will miss his immense and positive
impact on WSJT-X and related projects.  For more than eight years Bill
and I communicated closely and regularly on ham radio topics, sometimes
many times per day.  Perhaps I will be able to write more about it in
the near future.

Rest in peace, dear friend G4WJS.

    -- Joe, K1JT