locked Re: FT4 and Linux dumb question

Greg Beam, KI7MT <ki7mt01@...>

Hi Bill, All,

One can use upate/config alternatives for multiple versions of a given application, however, for WSJTX it's not very practical.

Over the years, when using distro-installed versions of WSJTX, I found easiest to do as you suggested; uninstall the old version, then install the new when an RC has been released.

I do copy / backup / rename my ~/.local/WSJTX directory so I can easily restore for whatever version I am using.

For RC5, I used the *.deb file you all posted on Joe's website, and it's working as expected. I'm using Ubuntu 18.04 so I would think any of the resent Mint flavors should work equally as well.

73's
Greg, KI7MT

On 4/30/19 9:31 AM, Bill Somerville wrote:
On 30/04/2019 16:17, Bill Carpenter wrote:
I use Linux Mint 19.1 and want to try FT4.  In the protocol document it states that one should install 2.1.0-rc5 in a different directory than  the one used for 2.0.  I will admit that though I use Linux I am not all that well versed in it.  Does this rule apply to Linux or just to Windows?  And if it does apply to Linux how do I install into a different directory?  I used all the rc packages when the move to 2.0 from 1.9 was made with no problems.

73, Bill NZ0T
Hi Bill,
there are ways of installing a Linux package to an alternate location, I am not sure how to do it on Debian style distributions. OTOH it is pretty quick to uninstall a package and install another if you are not using the one from the distribution repositories. I believe both the WSJT-X v2.0.1 GA and the v2.1.0 release candidates cam be installed on Linux Mint 19 using the .deb files we provide at release time.