locked Re: WSPR Spot validation #WSPR

Bill Somerville

Mike,

QRZ.COM callsign data lookups are not a free service, we have no intention of requiring that WSJT-X WSPR spotters use such a service. Caching such lookup data seems unwise as no data update service is available to my knowledge, and probably storing the lookup data in bulk is against the terms of usage of the QRZ.COM service anyway.

On 03/11/2021 13:03, Michael Black via groups.io wrote:

It could be filtered with a QRZ lookup.
I have a filter for the JTAlert email interface that does a QRZ lookup to avoid bad decodes like this and uses it's own local cache to reduce the QRZ queries to almost zero.
I also put the filter in my spot filtering program that sits between the cluster and Log4OM to avoid Log4OM triggering on false decodes too.

But with the spot reporting being done internally in WSJTX the QRZ validation would have to be added internally unless we migrated it externally.

Mike W9MDB

On Wednesday, November 3, 2021, 07:40:27 AM CDT, Tom V. Segalstad <la4ln@...> wrote:

We see from time to time that wrong decoding of weak signals are plotted on DXMAPS.COM (and other maps). But I assume that such wild decoding and reporting cannot be avoided?

Some examples of wrong FT8 decoding on 50.313 MHz here during the last week (WSJT-X v. 2.5.0):

181130 -24  2.0 1118 ~  FT0XHT 5R9KHX JP91

104745 -24  2.3 2951 ~  7I7IBM/P QF6GOM/P R KP02

122845 -20  4.0  899 ~  PT2KFL/R IP0RT PC08

122115 -19  4.1  210 ~  M52FPI/P TX5SPH BQ51

73 from Tom, LA4LN