locked Re: #Windows10 resets default audio device #Windows10

Bob McGraw - K4TAX

I've run Windows 10 Pro 64 bit on this old computer for a long time.   I take all the automatic updates from Microsoft.  I run a paid subscription of Malware Bytes and a paid subscription to AVG anti-virus software.  I also use CCleaner, paid version, for part of my regular maintenance discipline.

I don't use any of the free stuff from unknown sources.  I view that much like some of the "free stuff" offered by the 18-year-old standing on the street corner.  There is no telling what one might contract.

I'm also very careful to have all of my USB devices connected, although the equipment itself may not be powered on, at all times.   I use a 7 port product, TP-Link, for this.   Especially when the computer is first powered up allows Windows to see the needed and assigned ports.

I don't leave the computer running when I'm away from the station.   Yes, I know it takes a few minutes to boot but I figure I spend less time waiting on the computer to boot as opposed to having to spend frustrating hours resolving issues.

I find there are many attempts to ping and enter the system.  These data breaches can change parameters and settings and one not know it.   I've eliminated all social media accounts from this computer.  These are tooooooo easy to hack and gain access to the computer.    With my software and good firewalls active, I still see, via my monitoring system,  10 to 20 failed daily attempts to gain access to my system.  The hackers are out there looking and pinging.   Don't leave the door open or your pants down.

The smart operation of one's computer is a valued asset.  Regular external back-ups, regular malware scans, regular virus scans, and other maintenance operations are a must in today's world of reliable computer operation.  Like one motor oil company advertised,  "pay me now, or pay me later".   I find that paying later is much much more expensive and time-consuming.

As to Windows 11, my old computers don't have the recognized processors nor do they have the required TPM 2.0.   Microsoft advises not to install Windows 11 on a non-compliant computer.  Oh it may "work" and you can do so with an ISO file,  but I think you will find that issues may abound.  Are you ready for this frustration or just ready to start cussing Microsoft?   You've been warned.

73
Bob, K4TAX

73
Bob, K4TAX