locked Re: QSO sequence #QSO_practices

Bill Somerville

Charlie,

you are either putting word into my mouth I did not say, or you are misunderstanding. A Tx1 message does not always contain a gridsquare. A user can choose not to enter their grid square into "Settings->General", or they may be using a callsign that does not allow the Tx1 (or Tx6) to include a gridsquare.

On 01/10/2021 16:34, chas cartmel wrote:
Bill
No I'm not, you are talking semantics here. I am referring to the sequence messaging and as it's a prescribed order it is in itself a protocol, albeit not a data one.

It is I and others it seems who want to ignore calls responding to a CQ without a grid square so would like to have the choice to ignore them.

You seem to be defending the disabling of TX1 and misreading or even disregarding the viewpoint of others. This is a simple request so that operators can have the choice to disregard those responders who don't use TX1 as in the recommended sequence in the manual section 7.1.

If this stops me from working those with non-standard calls then that is down to my choice and I must live with the consequences. It doesn't stop operators from doing exactly what they are doing now, it is simply to stop my auto sequence from being triggered what I consider invalid.

73 Charlie
G4EST
www.g4est.me.uk
Stay safe out there

-----Original Message-----
From: main@WSJTX.groups.io [mailto:main@WSJTX.groups.io] On Behalf Of groups@...
Sent: 01 October 2021 14:25
To: main@WSJTX.groups.io
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] QSO sequence #QSO_practices

On 01/10/2021 13:52, Bill Somerville wrote:
Charlie,

you are confusing the message protocols and the order of messages
exchanged in QSOs, they are very different things. No changes were
needed to the protocols to enable the application to automatically
select the Tx2 message when replying to a CQ call, nor to select an
RR73 grid square message when replying to an R+report message or equivalent.

Why do you take the view that a reply to a CQ call without a grid
square should be ignored by the software? A lot of work was put into
the current 77-bit payload protocols to support non-standard calls,
why do you think that is of no value to you? I should point out that
often the most desirable QSO partners may have non-standard calls.

Your proposal is not fair, in fact it is grossly unfair to those users
who have to use non-standard callsigns!

If operators reply to your CQ calls with no grid (enforced or
otherwise), then please understand that is their choice. You can
choose to ignore them and work a different station, but the software
itself is not going to support automation of such censorship.

I agree it is unfair to ignore non-standard calls.

On the other hand I consider it quite acceptable for standard calls.

73
Roger
GW4HZA