locked Re: QSO sequence #QSO_practices

Ralf Schlatterbeck

On Fri, Oct 01, 2021 at 01:58:57PM +0100, Bill Somerville wrote:
On 01/10/2021 12:02, Ralf Schlatterbeck wrote:
On Fri, Oct 01, 2021 at 11:06:35AM +0100, Bill Somerville wrote:
1) non-standard calls cannot send Tx6 or Tx2 messages containing a grid
square - the protocol has no room for that information.
Sorry for chiming into the middle of this, but wouldn't it be possible
for the non-standard call to send an EU-VHF message (i3=5) with two
hashes for the callsigns and a locator with length 6 (and probably
sequence number s11=0)? That would be especially interesting for /MM
stations etc.
To my knowledge the current sequencing would not allow to send this, but
would it constitute a protocol violation? E.g. when sent at the end of
the call?
[..]

Hi Ralph,

there is nothing stopping you from entering a message like the following
into the Tx5 field:

<G4WJS> <DL/OE3RSU> 590000 JN75mm

It will be transmitted, and if the receiving station has previously copied
both callsigns un-hashed, then it will be received exactly as entered.

As to what the receiver will think the 590000 part means is probably
debatable, but at least it achieves your intent of relaying your location
information with grid locator accuracy.

Cool.
I'd set the 590000 to 0 or 1 if possible to at least reduce the
confusion a bit .-)

But a mechanism to update the first call <G4WJS> in your example with
the qso partner of the last call automagically would be very nice!
I'll try how fast I can do this during a QSO, maybe even with my regular
call...
Or I'll update my UDP-Protocol coloring program to do it for me...

And if this works, maybe it could be institutionalized (= documented)
for stations where location info really matters (e.g. /mm)?

And next on my wishlist would be an extension to the UDP-Protocol to
not just temporarily override the callsign (this can currently be done)
but also a telegram to override the location: This could be used by
mobile stations to update location from a GPS receiver or similar.
Would you accept a patch for that?

73 de Ralf OE3RSU
--
Dr. Ralf Schlatterbeck Tel: +43/2243/26465-16
Open Source Consulting www: www.runtux.com