bandwidth of the SSB transmitter is roughly 300Hz to 3Khz, anything outside
that will not be transmitted or severely attenuated. Your receiver has an
audio response to fit with the SSB TX response.. OK ?

On 24 Sep 2021 at 15:12, mbigos@sonic.net wrote:

Subject: [WSJTX] Audio Frequency choice. #QSO_practices
To: main@WSJTX.groups.io
From: mbigos@sonic.net
Date sent: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 15:12:10 -0700
Send reply to: main@WSJTX.groups.io

Hi -

I have been using FT8 for 4 months on 40 & 20 meters and notice that signals
bunch between 1 kHz and 2 to 2.5 kHz. Can someone explain to me (or point me
at some good write-ups) as to why this happens? Is there some magic going on
that I am missing, or is it just herd instinct? I generally try to use
800-950 Hz, and get reasonable results with a QRP rig and compromise antenna.
Thanks in advance, 73.

Marty
KN6OKN