locked Re: WSJT-X & Alinco DX- Sr8 T #txaudio #Alinco

Darl DEEDS

I am 5 feet above rock. Lots of other hams are less then that. We use what is available to use. We can’t say only use 8 feet of rod. It’s not possible. And no I am not going to rennet a back hoe and dig a big hole and then air hammer 3 feet of rock out just to say I am using 8 feet of ground rod. I do OK the way I am until someone else pays to install the deeper rod.

Darl  NA8W

From: d_ziolkowski
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2021 19:14
To: main@WSJTX.groups.io
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] WSJT-X & Alinco DX- Sr8 T #txaudio #Alinco

never use a 4 foot ground rod! 8 foot only!

then run a #4 from your shack gr ground rod to ground rods at power entrance.

if you have other antenna masts they also need a ground rod, and they must also be bonded together to the main power ground.

the ARRL book is very informative, if you dont want to spend $$ on hard cover, a kindle version is $10.

If you don't have a kindle reader, you can read it on the web, all you need is an amazon account.

and yes, NEC says so, if you have an issue like a lightning strike your homeowners probably won't cover it. try explaining that to the XYL!

Dan KC2STA

On Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 6:43 PM dave chaffee <medicdave220@...> wrote:

I have always been taught to keep the 2 systems separate.  RF grounding and house electrical should never mix. Even the electrician that did my house electrical said NO !!  At the communications center I worked at, ALL RF grounds were separate.  That being said... I am also open to learning the right way.

On Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 6:34 PM Jim Brown <k9yc@...> wrote:

On 9/16/2021 3:02 PM, dave chaffee wrote:
> House electrical ground and shack ground are separate, and separated by
> my house. House ground is on front right of house, and was just replaced
> in April of this year. Shack ground is back left of house, installed
> november of last year.

What you have done is DEAD WRONG and UNSAFE. As W9MDB correctly pointed
out, ALL grounds in a building MUST, BY LAW (Electrical Codes), be
bonded together.

As to the potential for an RFI problem, ALL of the equipment in your
shack should also be bonded together right at the operating desk, and
coax shields should be bonded to ground BEFORE they enter your shack.
Bonding those shields is also critical for lightning protection.

73, Jim K9YC

--

David A Chaffee

--