locked Re: #txaudio #linux WSJT-X No TX audio issue #txaudio #linux

Steve K4RVA <sspiroff@...>

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I am having the same (or similar) issue.

I installed wsjtx_2.4.0_amd64.deb on a very fresh install of Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon on a laptop with integrated audio. Audio input and FT8 decoding works fine. CAT control (Kenwood TS-570D) and PTT via CAT are working.

But when I click either 'Tune' or 'Enable TX', the button will turn red but I do not get any audio out, and the 'wsjtx' process goes straight to 100% CPU utilization. At this point, the waterfall freezes, the audio input level meter goes blank (the green vertical bar disappears), and new decoded messages no longer appear in the Band Activity window. The interface stills responds, ie. I can open any menu items, click the Tune button, but the application is no longer functioning.

When I close WSJT-X (either by clicking the 'X' or via File->Exit), the application windows go away but the 'wsjtx' process is still running at 100% CPU. I can kill it easily with a Ctrl-C from the terminal where I started it, or with a SIGTERM from inside 'top'.

I tried installing it on a different PC, also with Linux Mint 20.2, also with integrated/on-board audio and I got the exact same results.
I tried selecting several of the various audio output devices on both PCs (default, jack, oss, pulse, front, and several others with long cryptic names) and I got the same results.
I looked through ~/.local/share/WSJT-X/*.log and /var/log/syslog, but nothing was immediately apparent. Not exactly sure what to look for, though.
Fldigi outputs audio on both PCs.
It looks like pulseaudio is the audio server being used, but I don't know which other ones to look for in case there is a conflict or something.

Does anyone have any suggestion on where to look next? Is anyone else running 2.4.0 on Linux Mint (or another Ubuntu/Debian variety) successfully?

Cheers,
Steve K4RVA