locked Re: #txaudio #txaudio

Hasan Schiers N0AN

If you have dedicated USB sound devices (like a cheap dongle) and you assign WSJT-X to them, you won't have Win10 Pro update problems UNLESS....you plug in or unplug a new USB device, in which case the USB devices get re-enumerated by windows...and then the order of things can get messed up.

My suggestion:

Rename your WSJT-X audio devices (you can do that in windows), to a name that you will recognize (very handy if they re-enumerate) Restart WSJT-X after you do this renaming.

If you plug in or remove a USB device (audio), be sure to check to see that a name has not changed and that WSJT-X is still talking to the device you had previously set.

Since I went to naming my audio devices and NOT changing any USB audio devices, I have not had the problem with a Win10 Pro update messing things up for WSJT-X. Just remember if you change (add or remove) a USB audio device, you are well ahead of the game to check that your devices in X still match up the names in Windows list of Audio Devices.

73, N0AN
Hasan

On Thu, Sep 2, 2021 at 1:18 PM Gilbert Baron <w0mn00@...> wrote:

IF you have more than 1 sound card and you leave one as the default and do not use the default card in any way for your radio usage AND you do not use the second card for anything but your radio usage then this will not happen. It has not been the least problem for me for any version of Windows. Now on W10 Pro but have used many other versions.

Outlook Laptop Gil W0MN

Hierro candente, batir de repente

44.08226N 92.51265W EN34rb

From: main@WSJTX.groups.io <main@WSJTX.groups.io> On Behalf Of Pete Singleton via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, September 2, 2021 11:43
To: main@WSJTX.groups.io
Subject: [WSJTX] #txaudio

Hi

I hate Windows 10.  It keeps messing with my audio setup.  

I have a PC with Win10 Pro 64bit.  I use WSJT-X (now v2.4.0) for FT8.  I connect to my radio (various Icom, Yaesu) via an USB 'Audio Codec'.  The cabling is stable - I don't replug my USB ports.

When I boot up the PC, turn on the radio and load WSJT-X Rx seems fine but the Tx audio usually doesn't work.  The volume mixer shows that audio outputs are randomly scrambled. Often the audio from 'system sounds' and/or browsers go to the 'Radio In' codec but WSJT-X audio goes to the 'Display Audio' speakers.

To unscramble the mess I unload WSJT-X,  use 'Sound Settings' to disable the 'Radio In' codec to force everything to go to  'Display Audio'.  After reloading WSJT-X I go back to 'Sound Settings' and check that the WSJT-X audio (and no others) goes to 'Radio In'.

Occasionally, reasons unknown, the scrambling re-occurs if I come back to the radio after being away for a while.  Same procedure sorts it out.

Does anyone know how to fix the setup to be stable?

73 de M0PTB

--

W0MN EN34rb 44.08226 N 92.51265 W

Hierro candente, batir de repente

HP Laptop

Join main@WSJTX.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.