Re: MODE vs. SUBMODE for FT8 or FT4 #FT8 #logging #FT4 #adiFiles

neil_zampella

From reading what's on the DX4WIN website, the latest version is 903 ??   If you're using a version in the 800 series or earlier, you may need to purchase an upgrade.

Or, you can move to the free DXLab suite which has DX Keeper, which does recognize the proper ADIF modes for the WSJT-X modes.

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 8/30/2021 12:31 PM, Rick Tavan wrote:
Thanks, Phil. Far be it from me to question the work of The Committee, regardless of inconsistencies and consequent obligations upon downstream developers. My loggers (N1MM, RUMlog, WSJT-X Windows, and WSJT-X MacOS) all display actual mode, translating correctly from the spec. But my all-QSOs database (DX4WIN) does not. It displays my digi QSOs as either FT8 or MFSK (with no sub-mode reported). I may have to edit all inbound logs manually before importing to DX4WIN but I'm trying to get more recent info on possible updates to that program - what I've found so far is discussion from 2019 showing that the problem was understood but nothing about any fix. And I wonder what will happen if I submit these Qs to LoTW. Any idea?

73,

/Rick N6XI

On Mon, Aug 30, 2021 at 7:02 AM Philip Rose via groups.io <gm3zza=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

Rick,

When the ADIF committee were asked to add FT8 as a mode – it was rushed through and the MODE FT8 was added. When asked to add FT4, there was more notice and in line with ADIF 3 policy was added as MODE=MFSK and SUBMODE=FT4.

It’s up to your logger how it chooses to display the resultant MODE/SUBMODE to the user. ADIF is ONLY a data interchange format – unfortunately it is also human-readable.

73 Phil GM3ZZA

Sent from Mail for Windows