locked Re: After upgrade to WSJT-X 2.4.0, an IC-7600 no longer changes bands on SPE Expert 1K-FA power amplifier #Cat_RigControl

Bengt SM6MUY

Hi

I have not changed the PA firmware. I have not changed the rig firmware. I have updated WSJT-x. If the "feature" in WSJT-x with changing the rig frequency and the PA frequency at the same time wasn't intended it was probably a bug which is now fixed. In hamlib or WSJT-x. I don't have the insight into the code. If it was a "bug", it was a good bug. And it have always been there. It was convenient to switch band from WSJT-x but now it's not. I have now programmed my rig and do the change from that one instead.

73/Bengt, SM6MUY

On 2021-08-20 14:47, Bill Somerville wrote:
On 20/08/2021 10:59, Allan Saul wrote:
I can confirm similar behavior with my Icom IC-7600 and Expert 1.5K-FA.
On version 2.4.0 - no issues.
One version 2.5.0 rc 5 (latest) it does not. You can change bands with WSJT-X and the radio follows, but the Expert doesn't change bands. To action that one need to turn the VFO on the radio a bit (ie send out QRG data). In the past that was not necessary.
Another interesting test is to put the radio into some odd ball frequency and then start WSJT-X. When it comes up it recognized the incorrect QRG (its in red) so obviously its reading the radio QRG.

For the developers : I think what is happening is that in the past the rig was commanded to reply with the QRG once it it was set and the Expert was listening for this output from the RIG, not WSJT-X. Now thats is no longer happening and could be a generic behavior across many Icom rigs now with the updated hamlib files.

73 de Allan ZS1LS

Hi Allan,

I'm not sure what you and others with similar issues expect the WSJT-X developers to do. We make no statements on CAT control of ancillary devices that might be connected to your rig. If WSJT-X is correctly setting the rig frequency, and optionally the mode, and WSJT-X is able to read the rig frequency, which it does each polling interval, then CAT control is working as designed. Perhaps you need to contact the support team for your PA and ask how this might be happening.

You might also try a different "Settings->Radio->Split Operating" option as the Tx VFO being used might have some bearing.