locked Re: Received Audio Level scale floor different with different sound cards

Martin G0HDB

On Thursday, August 19, 2021, 08:46:18 AM MDT, Derek Toeppen <wa0zti@...> wrote:

Martin,

    Your comments turned up something.
[Snipped]

Good suggestion, Thanks

Derek

Hi again Derek, here's something else for you to check...

I note that in your screenshots of the Microphone Properties you've got the microphone level set to 100%, ie. maximum, in both cases.  If you position your mouse cursor over the Microphone slider window and then right-click you should be offered the option to select a scale of either percentage or dB; you should select dB and then adjust the slider to give a reading of 0.0dB - this may or may not be at the same position as the 100% level.

On the USB sound device I use for my datamodes operating (a G4ZLP interface device), the 0.0dB point is only about a third of the way up from the bottom left-hand end of the scale; it's well below the tick-mark that's mid-way up the scale.  You might find that the 100% point at which you've currently got the level set is actually giving you quite a lot of microphone gain, which you shouldn't need (or want).

Needless to say, you should also set the microphone boost slider to the 0dB point!

--
Martin G0HDB