locked Re: What should Radio TX Power Setting really be? #wsjt-x #WSJTX_config

Don Roden

David,

We are in agreement.

I set the power slider to get a good solid PTT on the Signalink. then set the rig's output power with the Signalink TX control ,,, usually around 9-12 oclock.

Works well.

W4DNR

On 2021-07-24 7:06 am, David Fanelli wrote:

Willie,

I use an TS-2000X as my primary rig for FT8 with a RIGblaster Advantage, but� I have used the same procedure on an Icom IC-781 with a Signalink with excellent results.

First, set the "Pwr" slider on the Human/Machine Interface (HMI) to 0dB and never touch it. There are two reasons to keep the audio output of WSJT-X at full power. The first is that you need sufficient drive to activate the VOX of either the RIGblaster or Signalink. The second is quantization noise. Running the audio at full output reduces quantization noise.

Second, set the output power of the rig to maximum power, and have the output meter read ALC.

Third, set transmit audio level of the soundcard interface to minimum by turning the "XMT LEVEL" (for the RIGblaster) or "TX" (for the Signalink) to minimum and push the "Tune" button on the WSJT-X HMI. Increase the transmit audio level of the soundcard until you start seeing ALC action, and then reduce the the transmit audio level to reduce ALC action to zero.

To set transmit power, always use the soundcard interface transmit audio level to reduce the quantization noise.

73 de kb5pgy

On 7/23/2021 8:22 PM, William Smith wrote:
Hey Bob,

I've been looking for a way to do that since I started playing with FT8, but I can't seem to find an inexpensive way to do this properly, can you point me to some equipment and best practices that'll allow me to do that?

I seem to be doing OK with 'turn the (audio) Pwr up to full power and back off a bit', but I don't know for sure...

Thanks!

73, Willie N1JBJ

On Jul 23, 2021, at 12:30 PM, Bob McGraw - K4TAX <rmcgraw@...> wrote:

(c) a means to monitor their own signal