From: main@WSJTX.groups.io <main@WSJTX.groups.io> On Behalf Of William Smith
Sent: Saturday, July 24, 2021 11:48 AM
To: main@wsjtx.groups.io
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] Clock Sync #Timesync

In my experience, the Raspian releases tend to lag software packages like gpsd signficantly.

In order to get numbers for "Seen" and "Used" satellites, I had to install gpsd 3.22

When I did apt-get update/ugrade, suddenly I was "upgraded" to 3.17, which doesn't report Seen/Used.  And that took a while to untangle.

apt-cache policy gpsd still shows gpsd 3.17 as the one it'll install.  And 3.17 has a release date of 2017-09-07

For basic functionality it probably works fine, but I like to add monitoring for stuff like sync and number of satellites and SNR and such, so it can send me an email if something goes wrong.

73, Willie N1JBJ

On Jul 24, 2021, at 12:32 PM, Jim Pennino via groups.io <penninojim@...> wrote:

If you find a write up that says you have to compile something or install something outside of the distro, it is guaranteed to be well out of date.

For a Pi and a USB GPS and either Buster or Linux, it is just point gpsd to the correct device.