From: main@WSJTX.groups.io <main@WSJTX.groups.io> On Behalf Of Alan Biocca
Sent: Friday, July 23, 2021 3:15 PM
To: main@WSJTX.groups.io Group Moderators <main@wsjtx.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] Clock Sync #Timesync

Hi Dan.

I've collected notes into an article that may be of help for those wanting to make NTP servers from the Pi.

I've built several by now. Most of the recipes on the internet are out of date and/or don't work for standalone NTP servers. I had to do a lot to make them work and distill the steps needed from the failed experiments.

Recently a friend followed this and made a Pi and Adafruit hat into an NTP server in an afternoon, so it has been tested, with the current versions of Raspbian.

Here is my document:

73 and best of luck with your project,

de w6akb

On Fri, Jul 23, 2021 at 12:33 PM Dan Malcolm <K4SHQ@...> wrote:

Martin,

I’m trying to build a Stratum-1 with a Raspberry Pie 2b and an Adafruit GPS HAT.  I tried following the instructions in ‘https://www.ntpsec.org/white-papers/stratum-1-microserver-howto/’ that you noted below.  Perhaps I should have tried the other one but now I’m here.  I rebuilt the OS using a fresh install of Raspbian.  Then, after making the new Rpi headless, I started with the instructions and everything worked well until I got to ‘Live Test the GPS’ . I did the “clone” procedure as recommended. Then did the ‘scons’ line.  After that nothing seems to work quite right.  Commands that referred to executables were directories.  I am thinking of starting over from the clone statement.

Do you have any advice?  Should I just start from scratch with a new Raspbian? FWIW the GPS had seems to be working and I am getting NMEA sentences about once per second.   I still get a slow blink rate on the GPS Hat LED.

Dan – K4SHQ

CFI/II