locked Re: Clock Sync #Timesync

Dave, William,

It appears the document is correct.  Since I was already most of the way there, finishing the config didn’t take much time.  Attached is what I now see when I open NTP Time Server Monitor.  It just started up so I don’t know where Delay/Offset/Jitter will end up.  It status LED on the hat is blinking about every 10 seconds so I’m guessing it has a fix and is working properly.

Thanks to both of you for helping.  I’m learning a lot, and trying to remember way back when I used to know a little about Linux.

Dan – K4SHQ

CFI/II

From: main@WSJTX.groups.io <main@WSJTX.groups.io> On Behalf Of Alan Biocca
Sent: Friday, July 23, 2021 3:15 PM
To: main@WSJTX.groups.io Group Moderators <main@wsjtx.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] Clock Sync #Timesync

Hi Dan. 

I've collected notes into an article that may be of help for those wanting to make NTP servers from the Pi. 

I've built several by now. Most of the recipes on the internet are out of date and/or don't work for standalone NTP servers. I had to do a lot to make them work and distill the steps needed from the failed experiments.

Recently a friend followed this and made a Pi and Adafruit hat into an NTP server in an afternoon, so it has been tested, with the current versions of Raspbian.

Here is my document:

73 and best of luck with your project,

de w6akb

On Fri, Jul 23, 2021 at 12:33 PM Dan Malcolm <K4SHQ@...> wrote:

Martin,

I’m trying to build a Stratum-1 with a Raspberry Pie 2b and an Adafruit GPS HAT.  I tried following the instructions in ‘https://www.ntpsec.org/white-papers/stratum-1-microserver-howto/’ that you noted below.  Perhaps I should have tried the other one but now I’m here.  I rebuilt the OS using a fresh install of Raspbian.  Then, after making the new Rpi headless, I started with the instructions and everything worked well until I got to ‘Live Test the GPS’ . I did the “clone” procedure as recommended. Then did the ‘scons’ line.  After that nothing seems to work quite right.  Commands that referred to executables were directories.  I am thinking of starting over from the clone statement. 

Do you have any advice?  Should I just start from scratch with a new Raspbian? FWIW the GPS had seems to be working and I am getting NMEA sentences about once per second.   I still get a slow blink rate on the GPS Hat LED.

Dan – K4SHQ

CFI/II

From: main@WSJTX.groups.io <main@WSJTX.groups.io> On Behalf Of Martin G0HDB
Sent: Monday, July 5, 2021 1:36 PM
To: main@WSJTX.groups.io
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] Clock Sync #Timesync

On Mon, Jul 5, 2021 at 05:37 PM, Dan Malcolm wrote:

Wish I had something to add to this discussion.  I don’t.  I have a couple questions though:

1. What would be a good GPS hat for a Raspberry Pi 4?  I bought one for a purpose that didn’t work out.
  2. Where would I find a procedure for building a time source like has been mentioned in this thread?

Thanks.

Hello Dan, there are numerous articles on t'Internet about how to build a stratum 1 NTP server based on a Raspberry Pi; here's a link to one recent example:

https://www.ntpsec.org/white-papers/stratum-1-microserver-howto/

For what it's worth, about six years ago I built a Pi-based stratum 1 NTP server by following the instructions at:

https://ava.upuaut.net/?p=726&cpage=1#comment-170232

My server is based on a Pi Model B with the GPS board described in the article; even though the 'wheezy' Raspbian distro I used is no longer supported, the NTP server continues to give sterling service and delivers NTP to all the PCs (which all run the Meinberg NTP app) on my domestic LAN.  The Meinberg Time Server Monitor utility indicates that the clock in the PC I use for all my amateur-radio related apps (WSJT-X etc) is very rarely more than 5msecs away from 'real' time so I can be pretty confident that any large DT figures displayed by WSJT-X are due to clock errors on systems other than mine...  :-)

Good luck with getting your small project up and running!

--
Martin G0HDB

Join main@WSJTX.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.