locked Re: Clock Sync #Timesync

Alan <n5pa@...>

Joe:

I am completely agree with you!  And in my unscientific means, it works well enough to keep your time for WSJT-X working. It may not be as accurate as a yottasecond (Ys or 10 to the 24th), but it is accurate enough to work with WSJT-X, and as that is all that matters!

73,
Alan Clark, N5PA
Ellisville, MS
Email:  n5pa@...

On Jul 19, 2021, at 11:55 AM, Joe <joe@...> wrote:

Hi Jim,

"If one assumes the velocity factor of a USB cable is about 80%, that means about 250 microseconds of propagation delay per meter."

Let's see...  the speed of light is 3 x 10^8 m/s, so the delay in a 1 meter cable is 1.0/(0.8x3x10^8) = 4.2 x 10^-9.  I make it around 4 nanoseconds, not 250 microseconds.  But you're certainly right, the cable delay is well under a millisecond.  :-)

  -- 73, Joe, K1JT