locked Re: S/N reporting on different modes #modes #Icom

Bruce KX4AZ

On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 05:37 AM, Bill Somerville wrote:

.. The noise estimation algorithms in WSJT-X reflect
both the expected band occupancy and the evolution of noise estimatiin the software. ...

This is something I have always wondered about - does the noise estimation algorithm attempt to use an area of the audio spectrum where no signals were decoded?  But I guess a crowded band would make that nearly impossible.  In any event, it would be fascinating to hear more details about how the noise power is estimated to arrive at the S/N ratios.