locked Possible issue with Windows 10 tablet #WindowsTablet

Edward Goto

Sirs:

WSJT-X 2.4.0 will not run on my Microsoft Surface Pro X tablet.  I have seen YouTube videos where operators have seemingly run full rig-control suites on similar tablets, apparently using Windows 10.  I am using Windows 10 Home, and have only belatedly realized Windows 10 was released in two versions; Home, and Pro.

My 14-year-old son, who should apparently know, says my tablet uses a different microprocessor chip than what's used in desktop computers.  I am wondering if Windows 10 Home has been reduced in functionality to the point where I've lost WSJT-X capability.

I previously ran WSJT-X on an HP laptop using Windows 10, but am not sure which edition that was.  That system was lost in a house fire, so I'm rebuilding.  I have also read the WSJT-X manual for computer compatibility, but the section doesn't go into nuances of CPU chips or operating systems.

Looking for a fix, preferably to upgrading the OS from Home to Pro, recognizing that Windows 11 has been announced, and who knows what that will do for me.  If my hardware is simply incapable of dealing with WSJT-X, so be it, but I need to know for certain before I start ladling out more money for a new computer.

Thanks in advance,

Edward Goto, KD9OZD