locked Re: #config IC-7610 AGC setting #WSJTX_config

Jim Brown

On 7/10/2021 8:20 PM, Michael Black via groups.io wrote:
I suppose if you have neighbors causing that kind of front end loading you have no choice.
I've never seen such a thing here or on any of the hundreds of people I've helped.
That would seem the time for AGC though.
Yep, which is why I settled on it a few years ago. Like I said, my uses of FT8 are weak signal work on 160 and 6M. When you're trying to work EU from NorCal on 160, you're running legal limit, and so are the other guys out here trying to do the same thing. And it DOES require careful gain-riding of the A/D unit driving the computer.

Some ops choose to deal with this sort of issue by narrowing the IF, but as soon as Joe answered my question about doing that by talking about the phase shift produced by the filters degrading decoding, I immediately understood. In the world of pro sound reinforcement, we learned 40 years ago that phase shift also degrades the ability of the human ear/brain to understand speech.

73, Jim K9YC