locked Re: #config IC-7610 AGC setting #WSJTX_config

Michael Black

I suppose if you have neighbors causing that kind of front end loading you have no choice.
I've never seen such a thing here or on any of the hundreds of people I've helped.

That would seem the time for AGC though.

Mike W9MDB

On Saturday, July 10, 2021, 08:34:51 PM CDT, Jim Brown <k9yc@...> wrote:

On 7/10/2021 3:34 PM, Michael Black via groups.io wrote:
> If you have something that proves 30dB on a quiet spot is not the best
> setting would be nice to see it. That's what the WSJT-X manual
> recommends and was backed up by testing.

I know what the manual says -- I read it carefully many years ago, and
consult it for new stuff and to refresh my memory.

Consider a station that's 50 dB over S9 on a calibrated S-meter (in my
case, a K3 with a GAs-FET preamp) and, at 6 dB/S-unit, how weak a signal
you could decode on a 16-bit system. On 6M, my noise is S3 in noisy
directions and S1 in quiet directions, and in noisy directions, at quiet
times).

73, Jim K9YC