locked Re: #FT8 and processor speed #FT8

Matt Postiff

Good suggestions in this thread. However, a fairly recent machine w/ 8 GB of RAM should be more than sufficient to do the job. Changing out to an SSD is the single thing with the most impact that you can do. But that is a brute-force method to fix what might be the true culprit, see next.

Second, cleaning off cruft that has built up over the years. Ctrl-Shift-Esc, click the Startup Tab, and disable any services that you don't need. Look at the Services tab and see if there are any there that you don't need, and turn them off.  Turn off the search indexing service if you don't need it. Go to Control Panel | Programs and Features and remove any programs that you don't need or know that you did not put on. Uninstall unnecessary virus scanners (some people have two running simultaneously...not good).

These two steps, though time consuming, fix most laptops that I have worked on, without the need to reinstall Windows.

One odd thing that I recently experienced on a laptop was that the power adapter AND the battery were both shot. I replaced the battery; then I had to replace the power adapter because it was not putting out enough power. The symptom before these fixes? Ctrl-Shift-Esc, click Performance Tab. CPU Speed was nowhere near the "Base speed" listed on the right. Instead, it was like 0.48MHz. This is because it was throttling down so as to not use more power than the machine sensed was available. New adapter and battery and it was magic--back up to 1.9 GHz or whatever it was supposed to be.

On 6/30/2021 3:43 PM, Bob Frostholm wrote:

You can significantly speed up your windows system by defraging your hard drive.... then do it regularly.... once per month to keep it efficient

73

Bob

Ko6Lu
On 6/30/2021 12:36 PM, Alan via groups.io wrote:
The biggest boost to my laptop was to convert from a Spinning Hard Disk Drive (HDD) to a Solid-State Disk (SSD).  It was not that expensive for a 1TB SSD, either.  Most of the SSD companies have software or there is free software to clone the existing HDD to the SSD without having to manually reload Windows, either.  I do have a minimum of an Intel i5 Processor in all of my PC’s.

I bought an Argon One case and SSD Expansion case for my Raspberry Pi 4B 8GB.  The issue with the Argon Expansion Case is that it requires a M.2 SATA SSD that is NOT NVME and most of the manufacturers have moved to the NVME drives.  Kingston still makes one, but the largest you can get is 490GB.  Even though the new processor is a
Broadcom BCM2711, quad-core Cortex-A72 (ARM v8) 64-bit SoC @ 1.5GHz, most apps do not multi-thread and you are still limited to a 1.5GHz processor.  But it is the closest thing to a good desktop in the Raspberry Pi lineup.

But I do agree with Ed, the more memory the better.  It really cuts down the swapping from memory to disk, which further slows down the PC.

73,
Alan Clark, N5PA
Ellisville, MS
Email:  n5pa@...

On Jun 30, 2021, at 2:21 PM, Ed W2LCQ via groups.io <w2lcq@...> wrote:

Sounds like you don’t have enough memory. Try increasing your memory to 16 MB. My applications slowing down was cured when I did this. Good luck.

73, de Ed Jones W2LCQ

On Jun 30, 2021, at 12:53 PM, Randy Cook <crcooklb@...> wrote:

Not a WinTel user now. But remember that HP use to load down their PCs with garbageware. trial software apps, off the wall Virus stuff, etc..  I spend hours trying to clean up a new HP PC. Not sure if that is your problem, maybe a WinTel expert here can tell you. I also remember that the factory loaded obsolete driver package, and it took a while for the semi-English speaking HP support to figure it out.

I have a MacBook now with the lowest end processor, an Intel i3, and minimum memory capabilities. I have no problem with decodes running a browser, MLDX logger, and other apps as well as WSJT-X.

I would guess your issue isn't processor speed.