moderated Re: Call for information about PC systems being used for WSJT-X #general

Derek Brown

Hi Bill

Here's the info for the three PC's I use

IC756  - Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7400 2.80Ghz

IC7610 - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU @3.20Ghz

IC9700 - Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E7400  @ 2.80GHz   2.80 GHz

OS on all Win10

73 Derek G8ECI

On Wednesday, 9 June 2021, 00:37:35 BST, Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:

Hi all WSJT-X users,

we are looking into some performance enhancements that will take
advantage of some parallel processing features of modern CPU
architectures. In order to gauge how much backwards compatibility for
older CPUs we will have to implement it would help to know who is using
such older processors. Please don't turn this thread in to a mine is
better than yours conversation, all I need to know is who or how many of
you are using the older CPU architectures. Note that this applies to MS
Windows, Intel Linux, and Intel macOS users, it is about CPUs not
operating systems.

The technology we will use is called AVX and that is present on all
Intel CPUs branded Core i3/i5/i7/i9 (circa 2010 to present), it is also
present on AMD CPUs since the Jaguar or Puma based CPU models (some late
Athlon-II CPUs, all Zen based CPUs, including Ryzen) circa 2013 to present.

Notably Intel CPUs branded Celeron, Pentium, or Atom do not support the
AVX technology.

So in summary, look up your CPU and if it **does not support AVX**