moderated Re: Call for information about PC systems being used for WSJT-X #general

Rick Chapman

Hi Bill

Thanks for the response.

However, I'm unable to see AVX mentioned under the Core I3-370M processor column in the attachment.

The second column which does include AVX is for a different processor - Core I7-2600.

I extracted the data on the two processors I use for wsjt-x, the I3 is in the shack laptop and the I7 is in a desktop in another building, which I often use to run wsjt-x remotely  by piping the audio to and from the shack laptop over the lan.

I'd be happy if the laptop I3 does support AVX but i don't think so.

Cheers

Rick (GM4JIB)

On 09/06/2021 11:23, Bill Somerville wrote:
Rick,

that's not correct, the information that your CPU supports AVX is right there in the screen capture you attached!

On 09/06/2021 09:46, Rick Chapman wrote:

Hi Bill

I'm currently running an Intel Core I3-370M processor, which apparently does not support AVX (see attached under Instruction Set Extensions)

Data from https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=52213,49020

Cheers

Rick (GM4JIB)

On 09/06/2021 00:37, Bill Somerville wrote:
Hi all WSJT-X users,

we are looking into some performance enhancements that will take advantage of some parallel processing features of modern CPU architectures. In order to gauge how much backwards compatibility for older CPUs we will have to implement it would help to know who is using such older processors. Please don't turn this thread in to a mine is better than yours conversation, all I need to know is who or how many of you are using the older CPU architectures. Note that this applies to MS Windows, Intel Linux, and Intel macOS users, it is about CPUs not operating systems.

The technology we will use is called AVX and that is present on all Intel CPUs branded Core i3/i5/i7/i9 (circa 2010 to present), it is also present on AMD CPUs since the Jaguar or Puma based CPU models (some late Athlon-II CPUs, all Zen based CPUs, including Ryzen) circa 2013 to present.

Notably Intel CPUs branded Celeron, Pentium, or Atom do not support the AVX technology.

So in summary, look up your CPU and if it **does not support AVX** (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Vector_Extensions) then let me know.