locked Re: Calling with TX2 #FT8

K8BL BOB LIDDY <k8bl@...>

Bill,

Thanks for pointing those things out. Yes, there are many helpful
and often necessary things provided when an answering Station is
gracious enough to provide their Grid. That's why it's selfish and
inconsiderate to answer merely with TX2 to save themselves a few
seconds of turnaround.

73,   Bob  K8BL

On Saturday, May 22, 2021, 10:17:28 PM EDT, Bill, WB6JJJ <bill@...> wrote:

The grid allows WSJT-X to show their beam heading so I can turn the antenna.  Also, JTAlert will quickly / automatically provide their name and grid.  But the grid displayed in JTAlert (from QRZ.com) isn’t always their correct grid…

Bill
WB6JJJ

On May 22, 2021, at 6:41 PM, K8BL BOB LIDDY <k8bl@...> wrote:

IMHO...  I consider it rude and inconsiderate to purposely avoid using the proper
 protocol that was specifically designed to provide the Grid to the station you are
 calling just to save a few seconds of turnaround between timeslots. The software
 was designed such that CQ'ing Stations call using TX6 and answering Stations
 respond with TX1, including their Grid. If you answer someone's CQ by using
 improper protocol, you are purposely refusing to provide them with info that they
 may be seeking by being on the radio in the first place. You are refusing to tell
 them your Grid, which they may be collecting for various Awards, and you are
 refusing to give them an indication of your location, which would tell them where
 their signal is reaching. You might as well give them a crude gesture at the same
 time. In many instances, that forces the CQ Station to look up your info on-line
 before they'll log it in WSJT and/or their Station Log. That effort takes more time
 than the 15 seconds saved by NOT  providing your Grid when rudely calling by
 using TX2! After reading all the comments here about using TX2 to call Stations
 and all the lame/weak excuses for doing so, I'm seriously considering NOT logging
 QSOs that call using TX2. I'll work them, but I think I won't Log them. That would
 be just as rude and inconsiderate.

GL/73,   Bob  K8BL               (Let the flaming begin. 3...2...1)