73, Reino OH3mA

Lähettäjä: main@WSJTX.groups.io [mailto:main@WSJTX.groups.io] Puolesta Martin G0HDB
Lähetetty: 22 May 2021 20:19
Vastaanottaja: main@WSJTX.groups.io
Aihe: Re: VS: [WSJTX] Calling with TX2 #FT8

On Sat, May 22, 2021 at 05:16 PM, Reino Talarmo wrote:

Martin,

Do you always Add a new call into your CALL3.TXT, when you have QSO?
Most of us don’t use that feature at all,  only ALL.TXT.

73, Reino OH3mA

Hello Reino, whenever I work a new station, and often when I've copied a new one but haven't yet worked it, I use the 'Add' button to put the station's callsign and grid into the 'database' which is described thus in the WSJT-X User Guide:

"The program can maintain a database of callsigns and locators for future reference. Click Add to insert the present call and locator in the database; click Lookup to retrieve the locator for a previously stored call. This feature is mainly useful for situations in which the number of active stations is modest and reasonably stable, such as EME (Earth-Moon-Earth) communication. The callsign file name is CALL3.TXT."

I believe the ALL.TXT file is essentially a journal of the decodes of incoming signals and all the outgoing transmissions and, as far as I'm aware, isn't read by the s/ware for any 'database' purposes (but I expect Bill etc will correct me on that if necessary!).  Certainly, when I rename the ALL.TXT file, typically at the end of each month, so that a completely new one is created when WSJT-X is next started I don't lose all the callsign and locator details of stations previously added to the database because they're held in CALL3.TXT.

Martin G0HDB