locked Re: Successfully ending an FT QSO #FT8

Jon Ermels

Just because WSJT says to log a QSO doesn't mean the other guy got your report. You still have to pay attention. I got an email at least once every two weeks or so from someone demanding I get into my eQSL out box and delete a QSO because it was NOT IN MY LOG. When I was new at this I just logged everything WSJT reminded me to. Signals fade rapidly with FT8 so just because you are satisfied doesn't mean the other guy is.

73 de NØIGU Jon

On Thursday, May 20, 2021, 07:09:08 PM CDT, Larry Menzel <pensionguy@...> wrote:

I had always assumed that if the software logs the contact that both sides of the exchange are satisfied.

No?

If I don't get a RR73 or something similar and WSJT doesn't ask me to OK logging the contact, I assume that the QSO was incomplete.

FWIW

Larry, W0PR

On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 9:49 AM Martin G0HDB <marting0hdb@...> wrote:
On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 09:46 PM, Kermit Lehman wrote:

There's been a lot of discussion since FT8 came out about when a QSO is complete.  Often it comes down to whether a final 73 is necessary or not following an RR73 or RRR.  The experts and logicians claim it's not.  For those of us out in the trenches, it is.

I have a great many QSOs that go like this one:

CQ PC2K JO22
PC2K AB1J FN42
AB1J PC2K -16
PC2K AB1J R-12
                           (empty time slot -  did PC2K send RR73 or RRR here?)
PC2K AB1J R-12
                           (empty time slot - if I heard PC2K send a CQ here, I would have logged the QSO, making the assumption he was happy with the QSO)
PC2K AB1J R-12
                           (empty time slot - at this point I gave up)

A few minutes later I heard PC2K call CQ again.  I didn't call him as I figured our chances of a QSO were iffy and I'd moved on.

Next time I looked in eQSL I found I had one from PC2K for the "QSO."   He must have sent an RR73 and logged the QSO without a 73 from me.

I rejected it because the QSO ended without closure on my end.

What should I have done?  What would you do?

Log it along with a comment that the QSO wasn't complete because you hadn't received the other station's RRR or RR73 (or perhaps just even a 73) because of QRM, QSB or whatever else might have affected your reception of their final confirmation, which might well have been sent so the other station would (presumably) have deemed the QSO to be complete and would have logged it.

--
Martin G0HDB