Re: RFI with MSK144 vs FT8 #general

Lance Collister, W7GJ

Hi Jim,

I did put several clamp on ferrites right where the coax connects to the Squalo. I wonder if maybe that is one reason I dont have any interference to the FM radio or CD player while running 200w output on FT8. Hopefully the car will be repaired and we will be back on the road by this evening ;-)  VY 73, Lance

On 5/3/2021 19:06, Jim Brown wrote:
On 5/3/2021 7:07 AM, Lance Collister, W7GJ wrote:
I wonder if there may be something different in the way the MSK144 tones are generated compared to FT8 that may have caused RFI and interfered with the car computer

No. I suggest that you choke the coax right at the point where it connects to the antenna. Two turns through a #31 clamp-on is a great starting point. Is there an address where I can send you one?

73, Jim K9YC

--
Lance Collister, W7GJ(ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ, E6M, TX5K, KH8/W7GJ, V6M, T8GJ, VK9CGJ, VK9XGJ, C21GJ, CP1GJ, S79GJ, FO/W7GJ, TX7MB)
P.O. Box 73

Interested in 6m EME?  Ask me about subscribing to the Magic Band EME
page (above)!