Re: RFI with MSK144 vs FT8 #general

Lance Collister, W7GJ

I take it all back...it had nothing to do with the computer. It was a mechanical problem. The steering linking linkage fell out of the car today. It is at the dealer shop in DM78 now.... Hopefully we will at least be able to get on the road again in a couple days!  GL and VY 73, Lance

On 5/3/2021 14:45, Tim Blank wrote:
Lance, that is indeed troubling...is that a steer-by-wire system or direct linkage steering (not sure if the proper term)? We’re there any error codes or check lights that lit up?

Tim/N0TB
On May 3, 2021, at 9:33 AM, Lance Collister, W7GJ <w7gj@...> wrote:

I may be the only person who has ever operated MSK144 from a moving car, so I don't know if anyone can compare notes with me or not. During the first day of our road trip across country, I operated FT8 continuously and the car seemed to operate FB. At the start of the second day, I operated MSK144 and there was erratic behavior with the steering all day, even when the radio was disconnected and no longer operating.  We are now in Colorado Springs and we can't continue with the trip until this issue is resolved.

I was running between 150 and 200 w output on 6m to a Squalo mounted about 3' above the roof. There was never any interference to the CD player or FM radio while I was on the air.

I wonder if there may be something different in the way the MSK144 tones are generated compared to FT8 that may have caused RFI and interfered with the car computer (either through the DC line coupling or via the RF). We are trying to get an appointment with a dealer here in Colorado Springs before we can resume out trip.

Any experiences or information that may be helpful would be greatly appreciated!

MNI TNX and VY 73, Lance

--

Lance Collister, W7GJ(ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ, E6M, TX5K, KH8/W7GJ, V6M, T8GJ, VK9CGJ, VK9XGJ, C21GJ, CP1GJ, S79GJ, FO/W7GJ, TX7MB)
P.O. Box 73

Interested in 6m EME?  Ask me about subscribing to the Magic Band EME
page (above)!