Re: RFI with MSK144 vs FT8 #general

Jim Bacher - WB8VSU

Lance, most likely it was just coincidental. Cars now days go through significant amount of EMC testing.

Jim Bacher, WB8VSU
wb8vsu@...

On May 3, 2021, at 10:33 AM, "Lance Collister, W7GJ" <w7gj@...> wrote:
I may be the only person who has ever operated MSK144 from a moving car,
so I don't know if anyone can compare notes with me or not. During the
first day of our road trip across country, I operated FT8 continuously
and the car seemed to operate FB. At the start of the second day, I
operated MSK144 and there was erratic behavior with the steering all
day, even when the radio was disconnected and no longer operating.  We
are now in Colorado Springs and we can't continue with the trip until
this issue is resolved.

I was running between 150 and 200 w output on 6m to a Squalo mounted
about 3' above the roof. There was never any interference to the CD
player or FM radio while I was on the air.

I wonder if there may be something different in the way the MSK144 tones
are generated compared to FT8 that may have caused RFI and interfered
with the car computer (either through the DC line coupling or via the
RF). We are trying to get an appointment with a dealer here in Colorado
Springs before we can resume out trip.

Any experiences or information that may be helpful would be greatly
appreciated!

MNI TNX and VY 73, Lance