Re: WSJT-X and OmniRig stopped working after CPU/memory upgrade #Cat_RigControl

Dave Garber

you mention that HRD is working still, with cat control,  so why not tell wsjt to direct to hrd for that same control instead of omnirig.   you did not mention which rig..

Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE

On Sun, May 2, 2021 at 3:15 AM Klaus <k.schroedl@...> wrote:

Hi all,
maybe someone here has encountered a similar problem and can point me towards a solution.

I had WSJT-X 2.3 64 Bit together with some other HAM software (HRD, HDSDR etc.) running perfectly on my PC.

For CAT control I'm using OmniRig together with the MicroHAM USB Interface III.
Everything was ok. The PC was/is running Windows 8.1 because on that machine I don't want the permanent forced updates of Windows 10.
CPU was an Intel Q9550 Core 2 with 4 GBytes of memory - the maximum limit of the motherboard.

But the PC sometimes was a little slow and since I want to do some HAM related software development on the machine too, I decided to do a hardware upgrade to get some more horse powers under the hood.

Last week I changed to a Gigabyte  GA-Z77-DS3H motherboard with an Intel Core i7 3770k quad core processor and 16 GBytes of RAM.
The in-place-upgrade went flawlessly. After the first start all hardware was recognized by Windows. Current drivers were installed and all installed programs were running fine and fast.

All, EXCEPT WSJT-X 2.3 64 Bit running together with OmniRig for CAT control.
Whatever I do, when starting WSJT-X it comes up with the CAT error dialog and if I click on details, it says:

"Failed to start OmniRig COM server"

WSJT-X itself is running fine and decoding. But useless without CAT.

No matter what I try, it won't work. I upgraded WSJT-X to the current version 2.3.1, uninstalled OmniRig and reinstalled.
No way.

What I find really strange: WSJT-X is the ONLY program refusing to work with OmniRig. All other programs don't have a problem. CAT configuration itself hasn't changed. The (virtual) COM ports are the same as before the upgrade.

So what's the difference "in the eyes" of WSJT-X? More memory (16 instead 4 GBytes), higher processor speed, 8 logical processor cores instead 4.

Nothing uncommon and probably found on millions of other PCs running.

Anybody here has got an idea?

TIA

Klaus / DF6NP