locked Re: Curiosity -- why is there no ft4 assigned frequency on 160 m? #NewUser

Dave smith

Added to which 160 mtrs is for real QSOs ....proper conversations!😉

On Tue, 27 Apr 2021 at 15:36, Buddy Morgan via groups.io <beamar=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Might I point out that there is no assigned frequency for anything, in Amateur Radio. You could say there are recommended frequencies, however. Most of these "recommendations" are established by users. A good example is the FT8 frequencies for the VHF and higher bands. When I first downloaded the WSJT software, 144.174 MHz, FT8 was already in the software. I did not think that was a great frequency for digital - a little too high in the band - but, it was in the software: go with it. There were no recommended frequencies for any of the bands above Two Meters. Over a period of time, some of us worked to establish xxxx.174 as the recommended, FT8,  frequency, on all the higher bands. It seems to have caught on.

Buddy WB4OMG